March 2023 News and Notes
2023 KEHA State Meeting Updates – Registrations are arriving daily for the KEHA State Meeting May 9-11, 2023, at the Louisville Crowne Plaza. Visit the KEHA State Meeting website for information on making room reservations, registering for the event, and other details. The following are a few important highlights to note.
- Rooms have been added to the group block and are now available at the conference rate until April 10. Use the link at the State Meeting website.
- If you have previously booked a room that was not at the conference rate, contact Kathi Lucky at firstname.lastname@example.org or 502-569-4525.
- If you are holding rooms you no longer need, please let them go for someone else to reserve BEFORE April 10.
- If you have rooms you no longer need AFTER April 10, please contact your county FCS Agent before releasing them so we can try to switch it to someone waiting for the group rate.
- The following learning sessions are full:
- Session 1 on 5/9 – Herbalicious Cooking, Edible Plants and Flowers in Your Landscape, Pots - Plants and More, and Beginning Shuttle Tatting
- Session 3 on 5/10 – Herbalicious Cooking
- The following hands-on craft sessions are full:
- Session 1 on 5/9 – Swedish Weaving Embroidery, Flower Pounding Craft, English Paper Piecing, Daisy Painting
- Session 2 on 5/10 – Swedish Weaving Embroidery, Flower Pounding Craft, English Paper Piecing, Wilderness Flowers in a Mason Jar, Daisy Painting
- The fillable PDF of the registration form on the State Meeting page has been updated to reflect this. Refunds of the class fee will be issued after State Meeting for anyone whose payment was received after a class reaches capacity.
Other Meeting Notes and Reminders
- Pricing: The state meeting is utilizing a new pricing structure. You may register for the full conference or two days and the general session luncheons are included. Discounted rates are available until April 10. Late registration must be postmarked by April 24 at the latest.
- Schedule change: This year’s opening banquet is a luncheon at 11:45 a.m. on Tuesday, May 9, featuring a keynote speaker from the Kentucky Derby Museum. Attendees are encouraged to wear the colors of nature you might see on a hike – yellow for the sun, green for the grass, blue for the sky, other bright colors to represent the flowers blooming.
- The general session on Wednesday, May 10, will feature a performance by the KEHA Choir.
- The awards luncheon will wrap up the meeting on Thursday, May 11.
- Silent Auction: Each county is encouraged to bring an item to the State Meeting for the silent auction. Proceeds will help offset the costs associated with KEHA State Meeting.
- Raffle Basket: Each area is asked to provide a themed gift basket for the State Meeting raffle. Proceeds from the raffle will benefit the Ovarian Cancer Research and Screening Program. As always, thank you for your generosity and help in providing these items for the conference!
- Quilt Square Auction and Showcase: Members are invited to make a 12-inch finished quilt square for entry. Details are available in the KEHA Newsletter. Proceeds will help offset costs associated with the KEHA State Meeting.
- Homemaker Showcase: The deadline has been extended! Forms are now due to Henrietta Sheffel by April 5. Each area can have up to two displays. These may be club, county, or area projects. Each state educational chairman also can submit one showcase display. Note that KEHA Development Grant winners may also submit a showcase display.
- Cultural Arts: Check-in will be from 8:30-11 a.m. Tuesday in five groups of areas. Check out will be 4-5 p.m. Wednesday in two groups. Details are outlined in the state newsletter.
- Master Farm Homemakers Guild: Once again the MFHG luncheon and meeting will be held in conjunction with the KEHA State Meeting. However, this year there will be a separate registration for this event. Members should look for details from the guild.
- KEHA choir: The choir is open to new members. They rehearse for one hour and do one performance during State Meeting. To join or for more information, contact Wendy Hood at Wendy7hood@icloud.com.
Quilts for Courageous Kids – The Center for Courageous Kids in Scottsville, Ky., is in need of 100 new twin size bed quilts. Needed size is 64 inches by 86 inches and can be homemade or store bought. Drop off at The Center for Courageous Kids, 1501 Burnley Rd., Scottsville, KY, or bring them to the KEHA State Meeting in Louisville where we will have a collection point. If you have questions, contact Joanie O'Bryan at email@example.com or 270-618-2900.
2023 KEHA State Board Elections – Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit credentials by the April 8 deadline. Credentials are sought for a total of six positions to be elected in May 2023: First Vice President; Treasurer; Environment, Housing, & Energy Chair; Food, Nutrition, & Health Chair; Leadership Development Chair; and Marketing and Publicity Chair. Visit https://keha.ca.uky.edu/2023-state-board-elections for more information.
Membership Update – The total membership for this year is 11,229! This is an increase from last year. A complete membership report will be shared in voting delegate packets at the KEHA State Meeting.
Dates to Remember
- April 5 – Area Showcase forms due to 1st Vice-President. Deadline extended and fillable form posted on the State Meeting page.
- April 8 – Postmark deadline for state officer and chair election credentials.
- April 10 – Ending date for the group room block at the Crowne Plaza.
- April 10 – Postmark deadline for early registration fee for 2023 KEHA State Meeting.
- April 24 – Final postmark deadline for 2023 KEHA State Meeting registration.
- May 9-11, 2023 – KEHA State Meeting at the Crowne Plaza in Louisville.
- May 15 – 990N Deadline for 501(c)(3) organizations with fiscal year ending Dec. 31.