2017 KEHA State Meeting
Thank you to everyone for your support of the 2017 KEHA State Meeting. It takes every area across the state fulfilling their assignments to make the meeting happen. Below please find a few highlights from the meeting.
- 560 people were registered.
- $2,166 was raised through the silent auction in support of the UK Family and Consumer Sciences Extension Legacy Fund.
- $2,153 was raised through the theme basket raffle for the UK Ovarian Cancer Research Program.
- $2,148 was raised through the quilt square auction to support the state meeting and the KEHA general fund.
- 1,080 pillowcases and 210 quilts/comforters were collected and donated to the Center for Courageous Kids.
- More than 100 sewing kits were collected through a special project to support sewing cooperatives in two villages in Ghana and $2,500 was contributed to purchase sewing machines.
Welcome New KEHA Officers
Welcome to the five newly elected KEHA state officers and chairmen who will serve three-year terms beginning July 1, 2017.
- 1st Vice President: Sharon Wood, Taylor County
- Treasurer: Harlene Welch, Harrison County
- Environment, Housing and Energy Chairman: Nell Manning, Lincoln County
- Food, Nutrition and Health Chairman: Carolyn Horn, Grant County
- Leadership Development Chairman: Karen Yerkey, Breckinridge County
In addition to these new officers, Marlene McComas has assumed the position of president as Mary Margaret Krahulec is unable to continue in this position. Marlene will fill the unexpired term, serving as president through June 30, 2019.
KEHA Marketing and Publicity Chairman
The KEHA Board has approved the appointment of a Marketing and Publicity Chairman to serve a 3-year term beginning July 1, 2017. Information about the position and an interest form are available online at www.keha.org. The position requires strong communications skills and experience with social media. Please promote this to leaders in your county who may be interested. The Interest Form is due by June 1, 2017.
Congratulations to Breathitt County for winning Ms. E. Go for the greatest percentage increase in membership (67%) and to Fayette County for winning Ms. Way To Go for the greatest increase in members (38 new members)! The annual contests for membership increase are continuing in 2017-18. The county with the greatest percentage increase will receive Ms. E. Go and $300. The county with the greatest increase in number of members will receive Ms. Way To Go and $300.
Congratulations to the 42 counties who achieved the first milestone in the “3 for 3” campaign which challenged each county to increase membership with a net gain of at least 3 for the 3 years (2016 dues submission, 2017 dues submission and 2018 dues submission). These counties will remain eligible for a $500 incentive with continued increases of at least 3 members each of the next two year. One county will be randomly drawn from among those eligible at the 2019 KEHA State Meeting.
2018 KEHA State Meeting
Planning is underway for the 2018 KEHA State Meeting to be held May 7-9 at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Louisville. The meeting schedule will change as all activities will take place Monday-Wednesday. The room block will open for reservations in July. Information will be posted to the KEHA website (www.keha.org).
Congratulations to the members of the KEHA Choir under the direction of Wendy Hood, Choir Director and Mercer County KEHA Member, on another outstanding performance. The choir will continue in 2018, and new members are welcomed. Interested KEHA members should send a $10 check made payable to Wendy to: Wendy Hood, 202 Park Avenue, Harrodsburg, KY 40330-1616. The funds will be used to cover the cost of copying and mailing sheet music and a rehearsal disk to the chorus members. The music will be provided in February 2018. A rehearsal will be held at the 2018 KEHA State Meeting and the group will perform during the state meeting.
The Yarn Barn
Mark your calendars for a special opportunity June 23-24 at the Shelby County Extension office. Mary Margaret Krahulec, immediate KEHA Past President, has donated more than 500 boxes of high quality yarn to be sold to raise funds for three charitable endeavors, one of which is the KEHA Ovarian Cancer Program/UK Markey Cancer Center. Yarn will be priced at $1 per skein. Click here to learn more.
Dates to Remember
- June 30 – KEHA Year Ends
- July 1 – Due date for club reports to be submitted to the county
- July 18-20 – National Volunteer Outreach Network Conference, Raleigh, NC