2020 KEHA Newsletter – The KEHA newsletter is now online! Access at http://keha.ca.uky.edu/content/state-newsletter. The newsletter includes all of the details for the upcoming KEHA State Meeting as well as information about upcoming deadlines, state officer elections and more. Mailed copies should be arriving very soon!
2020 KEHA State Meeting – Lodging Update
Planning continues for the 2020 KEHA State Meeting to be held April 21-23, 2020, at the Owensboro Convention Center. Rooms at the Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn (located to either side of the Convention Center) are SOLD OUT on the evening of April 21. A limited number of rooms are available for the evening of April 22. KEHA is working to set up an overflow block at an alternate hotel located approximately 4 miles from the Convention Center. Additional details will be provided as soon as they are available. Any group who has multiple rooms reserved is encouraged to double-check attendance plans and release unneeded rooms back into the reservation block as soon as possible.
2020 KEHA State Elections
KEHA will be seeking nominees for six positions in the spring. Positions to be elected include 1st Vice President; Treasurer; Marketing & Publicity Chair; Environment, Housing & Energy Chair; Food, Nutrition & Health Chair; and Leadership Development Chair. Job descriptions for these positions are available on the KEHA website in the “State Board” section. Credentials will be due by March 21, 2020. Watch for additional information in the spring.
KEHA Website Updates – The KEHA website has been updated with new feature stories providing easy access to 2020 State Meeting details, State Board election information and March 1 deadline reminders. The Quick Links menu has also been updated to provide easy access to information most relevant for this spring.
KEHA State Choir
Do you love to sing? Join your fellow Homemakers from across the state in the KEHA State Choir. We sing one time – at State Meeting in April. Send your name, address, e-mail, phone, and $10 to Wendy Hood, 202 Park Avenue, Harrodsburg, KY 40330. You’ll receive a practice CD before the meeting and all the information you need to enjoy singing in this fun group. For questions contact Wendy at Wendy7Hood@icloud.com.
KEHA Development Grants
KEHA Development Grants provide areas and counties with the opportunity to obtain funding for projects. Applications must be submitted by KEHA members. The guidelines and application form are included in the KEHA Manual, Handbook section, pages 107-111, and on the KEHA website under “Member Resources.” Applications must be submitted by March 1. Send to Lois Pressgrove, KEHA 2nd Vice President, 103 Highland Drive, Bardstown, KY 40004.
KEHA Mini-Grants for Study or Research
Kentucky offers mini-grants of up to $500 for study or research. Applications may be submitted by KEHA members, FCS agents, or FCS specialists. The guidelines and application form are included in the KEHA Manual, Handbook section, pages 104-106, and on the KEHA website under “Member Resources.” Applications must be submitted by March 1. Send to Lois Pressgrove, KEHA 2nd Vice President, 103 Highland Drive, Bardstown, KY 40004.
KEHA provides two educational scholarship programs:
- The Evans/Hansen/Weldon Scholarship is open to any full-time student attending a college or accredited undergraduate program in Kentucky and majoring in a Family and Consumer Sciences/Human Environmental Science degree program. Details and the scholarship application are included in the KEHA Manual, Handbook section, pages 94-98. Please promote this in your county. Applications are due by March 1 to Karen Yerkey, 6992 Hwy 1740, Hardinsburg, KY 40143-6182.
- The KEHA Homemaker Member Scholarship is open to KEHA members with a minimum of 3 years of active membership. The scholarship may be used for any college or university, as well as for a trade or technical school. It is intended for students pursuing their first degree or certification. Details and the scholarship application are included in the KEHA Manual, Handbook section, pages 99-102. Please share this with your members. Applications are due by March 1 to Karen Yerkey, 6992 Hwy 1740, Hardinsburg, KY 40143-6182.
KEHA Contest Reminders – All entries are due by March 1.
- Due to Marilyn Watson, Cultural Arts Chairman, 2286 Melwood Drive, Henderson, KY 42420: Handbook 40-41a – Creative Writing: Poetry, Memoirs, and Short Story.
- Due to Karen Yerkey, Leadership Development Chairman, 6992 Hwy 1740, Hardinsburg, KY 40143-6182: Handbook 88 – Community Volunteerism Awards (club and county).
- Due to Debbie Pierce, 429 Marsailles Road, Versailles, KY 40383: Handbook 49a – Adopt-A-Highway Awards.
- Due to Leoni Mundelius, Family and Individual Development Chairman, 675 Ky Hwy 198, Stanford, KY 40484: Handbook 55 – Nurturing Families Contest.
- Due to Julie Hook, Food, Nutrition & Health Chairman, 74 County Road 1021, Cunningham, KY 42035: Handbook 59 – Ovarian Cancer Fundraising Contest and Promoting a Healthy Kentucky Contest.
- Due to Cathy Kunkel-Mains, 4-H Youth Development Chairman, 13127 Madison Pike, Morning View, KY 41063: Handbook 65-66 – Homemakers Support 4-H.
- Due to Becky Clay, International Chairman, 7668 Ky Route 580, Oil Springs, KY 41238: Handbook 74 – International Contest and Awards.
2020 Census Quilt - Update
The Census Quilt continues traveling around the state, and a few details have been added to the schedule. Those additions are in italics below. When two libraries are listed for a month, it will be at the first library listed for the first half of each month and at the second library listed for the remainder of the month. In January 2021, the quilt will be installed for a long-term display at the Kentucky Department of Libraries and Archives in Frankfort.
- March - Rockcastle County Public Library, Ashland Terrace Retirement Home - Lexington (March 16-20), Kentucky Capitol Rotunda (March 23-April 2)
- April – McLean County Public Library, KEHA State Meeting (April 21-23), Hancock County Public Library (April 24-30)
- May – Union County Library and William B. Harlan Memorial Library (Monroe County)
- June – Northern Kentucky Area (details to be announced)
- July – Lexington Public Library and Garrard County Public Library
- August – Pendleton County Public Library and Kentucky State Fair
- September – Lake Cumberland Area (Sept. 1-21 – details to be announced) and University of Kentucky (Sept. 23-26)
- October – Lincoln Trail Area (details to be announced)
- November – Mammoth Cave Area (details to be announced)
- December – U.S. Census Bureau
A booklet showcasing each quilt square and including a legend of the quilt square locations is available on the KEHA website in the Quick Links Menu.
KEHA Quilt Square Showcase and Auction – The Quilt Square Showcase and Auction will return to the 2020 KEHA State Meeting! Members are invited to make a 12-inch finished quilt square for entry in the showcase and auction. Additional details are included in the KEHA Newsletter.
Knit and Crochet Corner – Knit and Crochet Corner is returning to the KEHA State Meeting. Members are asked to create and bring knit or crocheted strips that are 7 inches wide x 36 inches long to the KEHA State Meeting. Members will work between sessions and as time is available to join strips together to make finished throws (size 28 inches by 36 inches). Look for the Knit and Crochet Corner on the upper level in the Owensboro Convention Center. Additional details are available in the KEHA Newsletter. Any questions? Contact Jennifer Williams at email@example.com or 859-445-8840
Dates to Remember
- March 1 – KEHA development grant, mini-grant, scholarship and contest entry deadline
- March 15 – KEHA Showcase forms due
- March 21 – Deadline for mailing KEHA State Officer (1st President and Treasurer) and Chairman (Environment, Housing & Energy; Food, Nutrition & Health; Leadership Development and Marketing & Publicity) Credential Forms
- March 22 – Deadline for hotel reservations for the 2020 KEHA State Meeting
- March 24 – Postmark deadline for KEHA State Meeting Registration at the reduced fee
- April 7 – Final postmark deadline for KEHA State Meeting Registration