December KEHA News and Notes
Recognitions – County Membership Recognition Reports (including 50-year member and deceased member lists) are due to the Area Vice President or Area President by Dec. 31. For membership tenure recognition, only those reaching the denoted milestone this year should be included in the report. Areas should send the compiled results in one form to the KEHA 2nd Vice President by Jan. 31. See (KEHA Manual Appendix p 17). The area report may be submitted electronically at 2022-2023 Membership Recognition Report.
Website Update – Coming soon! KEHA’s website will have a fresh new format that is more mobile friendly. All your favorite content will still be available, and links will not change. Also coming soon, the 2021-2022 KEHA state reports will be available on the new site on the Reports page. This includes Educational Chair Reports, Area President Reports, and more. Read about KEHA impacts across the state and consider new ideas to implement locally.
2023 KEHA State Elections – The following KEHA state officer and chairman positions will be open for election in spring of 2023:
- First Vice President (Program)
- Environment, Housing, & Energy Chairman
- Food, Nutrition, & Health Chairman
- Leadership Development Chairman
- Marketing and Publicity Chairman
Additional details regarding elections will be shared in January 2023. Qualifications for nominees are listed on page 12 of the Handbook. April 8 is the postmark deadline for credentials. Encourage candidates to apply!
2023 State Meeting – The next KEHA State Meeting will take place May 9-11, 2023, at the Crowne Plaza in Louisville. The theme is “Let’s Take a Hike with KEHA.” Wilderness Trail Area will serve as the host area. The lodging room blocks are now open for reservations at a group rate of $124/night. Because of rising prices, the registration pricing structure for 2023 has changed. Details for planning can be found on the State Meeting webpage. Full details and registration forms will be available in February when the state newsletter is issued.
Grants, Scholarships, and Contests – March 1 is the entry deadline for several KEHA contests, scholarships, and grants. All details and requirements can be found in the KEHA Manual. Be sure to submit your entries on time and to the correct address/email.
- Grant opportunities include: KEHA Mini-Grants for Study or Research (pages 104-106) and KEHA Development Grants (pages 107-111). Grant proposals/applications are due to the state 2nd Vice President. KEHA development grants provide areas and counties with the opportunity to obtain funding for projects and must be submitted by KEHA members. Mini-grants for study or research may be submitted by KEHA members, FCS agents, or FCS specialists.
- Scholarships include: the Evans/Hansen/Weldon Scholarship (pages 94-98) and KEHA Homemaker Member Scholarship (pages 99-102). Scholarship applications are due to the state Leadership Development Chairman. The Evans/Hansen/Weldon Scholarship is open to any full-time student attending a college or accredited undergraduate program in Kentucky and majoring in a Family and Consumer Sciences/Human Environmental Science degree program. The KEHA Homemaker Member Scholarship is open to KEHA members with a minimum of 3 years of active membership. The scholarship may be used for any college or university, as well as for a trade or technical school. It is intended for students pursuing their first degree or certification.
- Contest entries include: creative writing (pages 37-39), Adopt-A-Highway awards (page 49), Ovarian Cancer Fundraising and Promoting a Healthy Kentucky (page 60), Homemakers Support 4-H (pages 64-65), international contests and awards (page 73), and Community Volunteerism Awards (page 88). Contest entries are sent to the respective chairmen who oversee the contests, as noted in the Manual.
For questions regarding any of these opportunities, contact the officer or chairperson listed in the Manual.
Dates to Remember
- Dec. 31 – Final dues deadline. Please send remittance (in the KEHA Manual Appendix page 16) to Harlene Welch, KEHA Treasurer, 207 Fifth Street, Cynthiana, KY 41031. Any county that does not submit state dues by this date will not be eligible to vote at the 2023 KEHA Business Meeting in May.
- Dec. 31 – Deadline date for fundraising-based recognitions (ovarian cancer fundraising, KEHA scholarship contributions, Coins for Change contributions, etc.) Awards will be based upon funds forwarded to the KEHA state treasurer with state dues and noted on the remittance form.
- Dec. 31 – County Membership Recognition Reports (including 50-year member and deceased member lists) due to Area President or Vice-President (see KEHA Manual Appendix page 17).
- Jan. 15 – KEHA Newsletter Deadline – Information due to KEHA 2nd Vice-President.
- Jan. 31 – Area Membership Recognition Reports due to KEHA 2nd Vice President by Jan. 31 (see KEHA Manual Appendix page 17).
- March 1 – KEHA development grant, mini-grant, scholarship, and contest entry deadline.
- March 1-3, 2023 – KEHA Leadership Academy at Blue Licks Battlefield State Resort Park.
- May 9-11, 2023 – KEHA State Meeting at the Crowne Plaza in Louisville.