January 2023 KEHA News and Notes
2023 KEHA State Board Elections – Credentials will be sought for a total of six positions to be elected in May 2023. All will serve from July 1, 2023, to June 30, 2026. Credentials must be sent certified mail and postmarked by April 8.
The following KEHA state officer and chair positions will be open for election:
- First Vice President (Program)
- Environment, Housing, & Energy Chair
- Food, Nutrition, & Health Chair
- Leadership Development Chair
- Marketing and Publicity Chair
Credentials include the nomination form for the position – Appendix pages 6-7 for state chair candidates; Appendix pages 8-9 for state officer candidates; and treasurer candidates also need to complete Appendix page 10. For more information, also review the qualifications listed on page 12 of the Handbook and the job descriptions on the KEHA website in the “State Board” section. Encourage qualified candidates to apply!
Grants, Scholarships, and Contests – March 1 is the entry deadline for several KEHA contests, scholarships, and grants. All details and requirements can be found in the KEHA Manual. Be sure to submit your entries on time and to the correct address/email. For questions regarding any of these opportunities, contact the officer or chairperson listed in the Manual.
KEHA Contests – Entries are sent to the respective chairmen who oversee the contests, as noted in the KEHA Manual. Contests include:
- Creative writing: poetry, memoirs, and short story (Manual pages 37-39) – Due to Barbara Seiter, Cultural Arts and Heritage, 8669 Valley Circle Drive, Florence, KY 41042, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Adopt-A-Highway Awards (page 49) – Linda Padgett, Environment, Housing and Energy Chair, 11307 Lakeview Drive, Union, KY 41091, email@example.com.
- Ovarian Cancer Fundraising and Promoting a Healthy Kentucky (page 60) – Sharon K. Fields, Food, Nutrition and Health Chair, 216 Cedarwood Drive, Greenup, KY 41144, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Homemakers Support 4-H (pages 64-65) – Denise Boebinger, 4-H Youth Development Chair, 3275 Bald Knob Road, Frankfort, KY 40601, email@example.com.
- International contests and awards (page 73) – Marilyn Watson, International Chair, 2286 Melwood Drive, Henderson, KY 42420, Mjmw1315@twc.com.
- Community Volunteerism Awards (page 88) – Ann Porter, Educational Chair, P.O. Box 88, Washington, KY 41096, firstname.lastname@example.org.
KEHA Grants – KEHA offers two grant opportunities. Grant proposals/applications are due to the state 2nd Vice President.
- KEHA Development Grants provide areas and counties with the opportunity to obtain funding for projects. Applications must be submitted by KEHA members. The guidelines and application form are included in the KEHA Manual, Handbook section, pages 107-111, and on the KEHA website. Applications must be sent by certified mail and postmarked by March 1. Send to Julie Hook, KEHA 2nd Vice President, 74 County Road 1021, Cunningham, KY 42035 or email@example.com.
- KEHA Mini-Grants for Study or Research may be submitted by KEHA members, FCS agents, or FCS specialists. These mini-grants are for up to $500 for study or research. The guidelines and application form are included in the KEHA Manual, Handbook section, pages 104-106, and on the KEHA website. Applications must be submitted by March 1. Send to Julie Hook, KEHA 2nd Vice President, 74 County Road 1021, Cunningham, KY 42035 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
KEHA Scholarships – KEHA provides two educational scholarship programs. Scholarship applications are due to the state Leadership Development Chair.
- Evans/Hansen/Weldon Scholarship is open to any full-time student attending a college or accredited undergraduate program in Kentucky and majoring in a Family and Consumer Sciences/Human Environmental Science degree program. Details and the scholarship application are included in the KEHA Manual, Handbook section, pages 94-98 and on the KEHA website. Please promote this in your county. Applications are due by March 1 to the KEHA Leadership Development Chair. Send to: Ann Porter, P.O. Box 88, Washington, KY 41096 or email@example.com.
- KEHA Homemaker Member Scholarship is open to KEHA members with a minimum of 3 years of active membership. The scholarship may be used for any college or university, as well as for a trade or technical school. It is intended for students pursuing their first degree or certification. Details and the scholarship application are included in the KEHA Manual, Handbook section, pages 99-102 and on the KEHA website. Please share this with your members. Applications are due by March 1 to the KEHA Leadership Development Chair. Send to: Ann Porter, P.O. Box 88, Washington, KY 41096 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Leadership Academy – There were 23 applicants statewide who were accepted to participate in the 2023 Leadership Academy. The March 1-3 training will emphasize building leadership capacity with the organization.
2023 State Meeting – The next KEHA State Meeting will take place May 9-11, 2023, at the Crowne Plaza in Louisville. The theme is “Let’s Take a Hike with KEHA.” Wilderness Trail Area will serve as the host area. The lodging room blocks are now open for reservations at a group rate of $124/night. Because of rising prices, the registration pricing structure for 2023 has changed. Details for planning can be found on the State Meeting webpage. Full details and registration forms will be available in February when the state newsletter is issued.
Dates to Remember
- Jan. 31 – Area Membership Recognition Reports due to KEHA 2nd Vice President by Jan. 31 (see KEHA Manual Appendix page 17) or submit electronically at 2022-2023 Membership Recognition Report.
- February – KEHA State Newsletter coming soon!
- March 1 – KEHA development grant, mini-grant, scholarship, and contest entry deadlines.
- March 1-3, 2023 – KEHA Leadership Academy at Blue Licks Battlefield State Resort Park.
- March 13-14 – KEHA Spring Board Meeting, Crowne Plaza Hotel, Louisville, Kentucky.
- March 15 – Area Showcase forms due to 1st Vice-President (see KEHA Manual Appendix, page 31).
- April 1 – Area lesson schedules for 2023-24 due to KEHA State Advisor.
- April 8 – Postmark deadline for state officer and chair credentials (see KEHA Manual Appendix, pages 6-9)
- April 10 – Postmark deadline for early registration fee for 2023 KEHA State Meeting.
- April 24 – Final postmark deadline for 2023 KEHA State Meeting registration.
- May 9-11, 2023 – KEHA State Meeting at the Crowne Plaza in Louisville.