2020 KEHA State Meeting
Planning continues for the 2020 KEHA State Meeting to be held April 21-23, 2020, at the Owensboro Convention Center. Lodging room blocks at the Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn, both located adjacent to the convention center, are now open for reservations. The room rate at Hampton Inn is $129 per night + tax and includes breakfast daily. To reserve by phone, call 270-685-2005 and request the KEHA rate. Reservations may also be made online, and the link is posted on the KEHA website under the “State Meeting” tab. The room rate at the Holiday Inn is $134 + tax and includes breakfast daily. To reserve by phone, call 270-683-1111 and request the KEHA conference rate. Reservations may also be made online, and the link is posted on the KEHA website under the “State Meeting” tab.
2020 KEHA State Elections
KEHA will be seeking nominees for six positions in the spring. Positions to be elected include 1st Vice President; Treasurer; Marketing & Publicity Chair; Environment, Housing & Energy Chair; Food, Nutrition & Health Chair; and Leadership Development Chair. Job descriptions for these positions are available on the KEHA website in the “State Board” section. Credentials will be due by March 21, 2020. Watch for additional information in the spring.
KEHA Membership Recognitions
The KEHA Membership Recognition Report is due February 1 (see KEHA Manual, Appendix, page 18). For membership tenure recognition, only those reaching the denoted milestone this year should be included in the report. Send to Lois Pressgrove, KEHA 2nd Vice President, 103 Highland Drive, Bardstown, KY 40004. The report may also be submitted electronically at 2019-2020 KEHA Membership Recognition Report.
KEHA State Choir
Do you love to sing? Join your fellow Homemakers from across the state in the KEHA State Choir. We sing one time – at State Meeting in April. Send your name, address, e-mail, phone, and $10 to Wendy Hood, 202 Park Avenue, Harrodsburg 40330. You’ll receive a practice CD before the meeting and all the information you need to enjoy singing in this fun group. For questions contact Wendy at Wendy7Hood@icloud.com.
KEHA Development Grants
KEHA Development Grants provide areas and counties with the opportunity to obtain funding for projects. Applications must be submitted by KEHA members. The guidelines and application form are included in the KEHA Manual, Handbook section, pages 107-111, and on the KEHA website under “Member Resources.” Applications must be submitted by March 1st. Send to Lois Pressgrove, KEHA 2nd Vice President, 103 Highland Drive, Bardstown, KY 40004.
KEHA Mini-Grants for Study or Research
Kentucky offers mini-grants of up to $500 for study or research. Applications may be submitted by KEHA members, FCS agents, or FCS specialists. The guidelines and application form are included in the KEHA Manual, Handbook section, pages 104-106, and on the KEHA website under “Member Resources.” Applications must be submitted by March 1st. Send to Lois Pressgrove, KEHA 2nd Vice President, 103 Highland Drive, Bardstown, KY 40004.
KEHA provides two educational scholarship programs:
- The Evans/Hansen/Weldon Scholarship is open to any full-time student attending a college or accredited undergraduate program in Kentucky and majoring in a Family and Consumer Sciences/Human Environmental Science degree program. Details and the scholarship application are included in the KEHA Manual, Handbook section, pages 94-98. Please promote this in your county. Applications are due by March 1st to Karen Yerkey, 6992 Hwy 1740, Hardinsburg, KY 40143-6182.
- The KEHA Homemaker Member Scholarship is open to KEHA members with a minimum of 3 years of active membership. The scholarship may be used for any college or university, as well as for a trade or technical school. It is intended for students pursuing their first degree or certification. Details and the scholarship application are included in the KEHA Manual, Handbook section, pages 99-102. Please share this with your members. Applications are due by March 1st to Karen Yerkey, 6992 Hwy 1740, Hardinsburg, KY 40143-6182.
KEHA Contest Reminders
- Due to Marilyn Watson, Cultural Arts Chairman, 2286 Melwood Drive, Henderson, KY 42420: Handbook 40-41a – Creative Writing: Poetry, Memoirs, and Short Story. Entries due 3/1/2020.
- Due to Karen Yerkey, Leadership Development Chairman, 6992 Hwy 1740, Hardinsburg, KY 40143-6182: Handbook 88 – Community Volunteerism Awards (club and county). Entries due 3/1/2020.
- Due to Debbie Pierce, 429 Marsailles Road, Versailles, KY 40383: Handbook 49a – Adopt-A-Highway Awards. Entries due 3/1/2020.
- Due to Leoni Mundelius, Family and Individual Development Chairman, 675 Ky Hwy 198, Stanford, KY 40484: Handbook 55 – Nurturing Families Contest. Entries due 3/1/2020.
- Due to Julie Hook, Food, Nutrition & Health Chairman, 74 County Road 1021, Cunningham, KY 42035: Handbook 59 – Ovarian Cancer Fundraising Contest and Promoting a Healthy Kentucky Contest. Entries due 3/1/2020.
- Due to Cathy Kunkel-Mains, 4-H Youth Development Chairman, 13127 Madison Pike, Morning View, KY 41063: Handbook 65-66 – Homemakers Support 4-H. Entries due 3/1/2020.
- Due to Becky Clay, International Chairman, 7668 Ky Route 580, Oil Springs, KY 41238: Handbook 74 – International Contest and Awards. Entries due 3/1/2020.
Census Quilt Update
The Census Quilt continues traveling to libraries around the state. A booklet showcasing each quilt square and including a legend of the quilt square locations is now available on the KEHA website in the Quick Links Menu and the scrolling news feed. The listing of locations scheduled at this time are noted below. It will be at the first library listed for the first half of each month and at the second library listed for the remainder of the month.
- February – Jackson County Public Library and Wolfe County Public Library
- March – Rockcastle County Public Library and Kentucky State Capitol
- April – McLean County Public Library and KEHA State Meeting
- May – Union County Library and William B. Harlan Memorial Library (Monroe County)
- June – To Be Determined
- July – Lexington Public Library and Garrard County Public Library
- August – Pendleton County Public Library and Kentucky State Fair
Dates to Remember
- February 1 – Due date for KEHA Membership Recognition Report
- By February 3 – KEHA State Newsletter available at www.keha.org
- March 1 – KEHA development grant, mini-grant, scholarship and contest entry deadline